Thursday, July 22, 2010

Regent's ongoing financial troubles

I've been pleasantly surprised by the increase in advertising on gay.com (not that I enjoy the ads, just that they show gay.com is managing to generate some income which may result in better business practices at the company), but just read this disturbing article on Alyson Publications (another of the businesses gobbled up by PlanetOut which was then gobbled up by Regent).


http://www.queerty.com/is-broke-regent-media-unloading-destitute-alyson-books-20100722/


Oh well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised gay.com still exists at all. I finally stopped using it after several years because nobody uses the damn site anymore. The chat rooms I went into used to have tons of people but now they hardly have anybody in them anymore.

Also, most of the people who still use gay.com have been using it for a long time which suggests to me that their current user interface sucks to the point of driving newcomers away.

So I imagine their revenue from premium memberships has gone way down.

You can go on Manhunt.net and adam4adam.com and find tons of people who used to be on gay.com.

You would think that the gay.com management would notice the decrease of users and do something like at least give the site a more readable color scheme, but apparently not!